Thursday, February 28, 2013

I Got Smacked by Hundreds of Balls and My Knees are Bruised

Get your mind out of the gutter. I'm the assistant coach for my daughter's volleyball team and I was apparently the target for abuse. 

Last year, we had a team of not just beginners, but children who weren't exactly athletic. This year, still mostly beginners, but most are pretty good athletes. We have won more than double the games we have lost. 

It has been a fun season. And by fun, I mean that we haven't had too many emotional breakdowns on the court. These girls are pre-pubescent. They are hormonal. And one wrong move can send the whole team into tears. Crying is apparently a contagious as the bird flu if you're a ten year old female. 

I like to think of these coaching escapades as another notch in my "life skills" belt. It's a fine art and it takes fucking practice. If I can make it through the rest of the season with zero team dramedies*, I'm pretty sure I'm set to handle anything thrown my way. Wish me luck. 

*comedy-drama. I can't take credit for making this one up. 

Your Coach with Finesse,
Meg

1 comment:

  1. Good Luck, have fun, and watch out for them balls, they're sneaky...

    V/R

    ~SRA/D

    ReplyDelete